1 day ago
Thursday, July 8, 2010
RIP Buddy the Chinnie
One of my chinchillas, “Baby Buddy”, passed away over the 4th of July weekend. I bought him in Greenville, NC when I was in college. Buddy was approx 8 years old. I have another chinchilla, Grace, who is alive & well. Buddy was the sweeter of the two- more affectionate & friendly. Grace, being a female, is a bit feisty :) Buddy was loved & will be missed by both me & her not-so-close "companion", Grace the chinnie. They had separate cages; Buddy's cage was above Grace's, but I'm sure Grace still knows he's gone... RIP sweet "Baby Buddy"...
1. Chinnies can live up to 20 years in captivity! (The avg life span is 10 years.)
2. Chinnies are native to the Andes Mountains of South America.
3. Chinnies bathe by taking a dust "bath". In the wild they bathe by rolling around in volcanic ash to remove oil from their fur. (Chinnies LOVE their dust bath! They happily roll around, flipping head over tail, in their dust bath house.)
4. Chinnie fur is considered the softest in the world and is thirty times softer than human hair.
5. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to five feet above their head.
6. Chinnies are nocturnal, meaning they sleep during the day and come out to play at night.
7. Martha Stewart has 15 pet chinchillas.
Fact Sources: Chinnitude & Chinchilla Planet.